5 Ways To Get More Instagram Followers
Are you looking to get more followers on Instagram? Let’s be honest, these days everyone is. I hate to say it, but popularity now correlates to how many “Insta” followers you have. As a part of my full time day job as a Marketing Coordinator, I also manage my company’s social media accounts. Working in the social media marketing world for the past few years, these are the tips I’ve learned to increase your following on Instagram, for your personal account or for your business. Now these are by no means “get rich quick” schemes. It’s better to have a loyal following that will consistently like and comment on your posts, than “bots” that are just a number. With that being said, DON’T buy followers. That’s the number one way to get your account shut down for good. It’s going to take a lot of time and effort to build your Instagram following, but if you stick with these tips you’ll definitely see an increase.
1. Use hashtags: This might seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised at the number of people that don’t use relevant hashtags. The trick with this is to not use general hashtags such as #instagood and #likeforlike. These hashtags have hundreds of thousands of images associated with them and your post will just get lost in the shuffle. Instead, research hashtags that are relevant to your photo and only have a couple thousand images associated with it. That way, you know the people searching those hashtags are actually interested in your picture and will ‘like’ your image. Open up your Notes app in your phone and keep lists of hashtags by topic so you can easily copy and paste them on to your post. Oh, and one more thing… paste the hashtags into a separate comment underneath your caption so it looks cleaner.
2. Tag Your Location: Similar to hashtags, people can also search locations. So if you tag your Insta post at “Fanueil Hall Marketplace” your image will show up in the search feed resulting in more views outside your normal social circle.
3. Pick A Theme: This has become a recent trend within the past year. It’s totally optional, but does add a nice look to your overall feed. Make all of your photos have the same color scheme. They could all have a hint of blue in them for example, or use the same filter in all of your photos. This method definitely requires a lot more planning ahead and some of your favorite images might not even be usable if they don’t match your theme, but it will result in more followers that find your aesthetic visually appealing.
4. Post Consistently: If you want to gain more followers, you need to be an active Instagram user. If you’re just starting out, try just posting 3-4 images a week. Ideally you want to be posting once a day and using relevant hashtags for maximum exposure. If you’re finding just the thought of this exhausting, stockpile your photos so you always have a bank of images to choose from, then plan out your posting schedule at the beginning of each week. There are tons of free social scheduling services that will help you do this. I currently use Hootsuite.
5. Invest in a good camera: This is a completely optional, but if you’re serious about stepping up your Insatgram game, it’s worth checking into. Buying a good quality camera will make your photos look 10x better than using your smartphone and people will notice. Now I’m not saying to go out and buy a $1000 DSLR camera, there are definitely some quality Point and Shoot cameras for a couple hundred dollars. I’ve used the Nikon Coolpix camera, which is relatively inexpensive. If you want to wait on the camera, try taking your photos in bright, natural, lighting to get the best quality image with minimal editing.
I hope you learned something from these tips! Creating a unique, ascetically pleasing Instagram account is a lot of hard work, but if you follow these best practices, and put in the work, you’re sure to see an increase in your following!